Building » Somerton – St Dunstan

Somerton – St Dunstan

Langport Road, Somerton, Somerset, TA11

A modest church of traditional architectural character, built shortly after the Second Vatican Council on a square plan.

From 1886, Mass was said in Somerton by the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart at Glastonbury. In 1927, a plot of land was given by Mr Calman and a wooden hut was erected as a temporary chapel. A permanent church was constructed in 1965, to designs by Peter J.W. Ware of Bristol. The overall cost was £10,100. Designed and built shortly after the Second Vatican Council, its square plan allowed seating around three sides of the altar. In 1979, the present presbytery opposite the church was acquired. (Prior to that, the parish priest lived at the presbytery for St Joseph’s, Langport. The church at Langport closed in 2014.) The side door has recently been enclosed by a new porch with lean-to roof.


The church is square on plan under a pyramidal roof, which is extended over the narthex at the west and sacristy at the east. The roof is crowned by a small cylindrical lantern. The walls are constructed of locally quarried Blue Lias stone. The roof is tiled in handmade Bridgwater tiles. The interior is lit by two large vertical windows on the north and south elevations. The sanctuary furnishings consist of a green marble altar, the tabernacle on a shelf, and a font and lectern of timber. 

Heritage Details

Architect: Peter J. W. Ware

Original Date: 1965

Conservation Area: No

Listed Grade: Not Listed