Devon Road, South Darenth, Kent DA4
An economical modern chapel, furnished from various sources.
The mission to South Darenth was founded in 1927 by the Southwark Travelling Mission under Fr Dudley. Mass was said for five years at the Jolly Millers pub. In 1932 a hut was purchased and equipped for use as a chapel-of-ease, served from Dartford. Only in 1938 was the congregation large enough to justify a weekly Sunday Mass. On 3 April 1938 the chapel was dedicated to St George. In 1986, the hut was replaced by a red brick church on the opposite side of Devon Road. It was furnished with benches from the Convent of Jesus and Mary in Harlesden. The Stations of the Cross were given by the parish priest of Northfleet; they came from All Saints, Galley Hill, Swanscombe and before that they had been at Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Greenhithe, which was demolished in c.1970.
The chapel is facing northwest; however, this description uses the conventional liturgical orientation.
The church is a portal-framed building, built using concrete blocks. The exterior is faced in red brick, laid in stretcher bond, with a tiled roof. The plan is T-shaped, with the narthex in the cross bar. The main roof is pitched, intersecting with a hipped roof at the west. The street facade at the east is plain, apart from a white stone statue of St George and the dragon, framed by brick buttresses and vertical window strips. The main entrance is at the west.
The narthex contains a toilet, the sacristy and other ancillary rooms. The nave is four bays long, with a one-bay sanctuary. The interior is lit by roof lights and some window strips filled with yellow frosted glass. The northeast corner of the nave has a statue of St Joseph, with a statue of the Virgin Mary opposite. The sanctuary has a modern altar and tabernacle stand, both of differently coloured marbles. The chair, the crucifix and the lectern are of timber. There is a small side chapel on the south side, with its own altar. The Stations, originally from Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Greenhithe, are painted ceramic quatrefoils.
Amended by AHP 06.02.2021
Architect: Possibly Tomei & Mackley
Original Date: 1986
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed