East Street, South Molton, Devon
A stone-built Victorian Gothic Nonconformist chapel with polychrome detail, acquired for Catholic use in the 1950s. The interior is plain and contains no furnishings of note, but the exterior, while set back from the street and hemmed in by other buildings, makes a positive contribution to the local conservation area.
The church was built originally for a congregation of Bible Christians. It was purchased in the 1950s for use as a Catholic place of worship, and opened as such in 1957.
A simple building, faced with local rubble stone, with window tracery of Bath stone and window arches of stone and red brick in a manner typical of the 1860s. The front to the street has a typical chapel front, with a tall gable, central entrance door with a cusped arch and a small cusped pointed window over and tall two-light plate tracery windows to either side.
The interior is a single large space with a matchboard dado, plain plaster walls and a boarded ceiling which leaves the braces to the principal rafters and the main collar beams exposed. There is a newly-carpeted floor, and a raised sanctuary area, from which two original doors in the east wall lead to the sacristy behind. All the furnishings are modern.
Architect: Not established
Original Date: 1863
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed