Manners Way, Prittlewell, Essex SS2
A simple cruciform church of the 1960s by the local architect David Rodney Burles, externally fairly plain, but with an attractive, light interior.
A dual-purpose church and hall was built at Prittlewell in 1939 (architect David Henry Burles) to cope with the expanding population of the northern area of Southend-on-Sea. Dedicated to the newly-canonised St John Fisher, this was initially served from Sacred Heart, Southchurch Road. Prittlewell became an independent parish in 1955, when the presbytery was built. The present church was built in 1964, from designs by David Rodney Burles (son of the architect of the first church-hall, which remains as the parish hall). Since 2001 the church has again been served from Sacred Heart, Southend.
The church is a simple modern building with loadbearing walls of red brick laid in Flemish bond and a steel framed roof structure with coverings of red concrete pantiles. The building is rectangular on plan with a cruciform gabled roof surmounted by a slender conical spire over the crossing. The side walls have flat- roofed single storey attachments containing ancillary spaces.
The interior has a woodblock floor, plain plastered walls and pine boarding to the underside of the roof. There is a western organ gallery above the entrance vestibule and narrow flat-ceilinged passage aisles on both long sides with pairs of piloti at the east and west ends. The sanctuary has four small windows on the north side only. Above the crucifix on the blind east end wall is a ceilure which follows the pitch of the roof. The striking light fittings are presumably original.
Architect: Burles, Newton & Partners
Original Date: 1963
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed