Waterloo Road, Hillside, Southport PR8
Although post-war in date, this design continues the pre-war tradition of brick churches on a longitudinal plan with simple basilican forms. It is a well-detailed building with a tall landmark tower.
A parish was erected and a temporary church built in 1931 to serve the rapidly-expanding area. Land for the present building was donated by the Weld-Blundell estate, and the church was built in 1956.
Of pale orange brick with tiled roofs. Basilican plan with a single-storey link and presbytery extending from the southeast side of the church. Tall square southwest tower with a shallow hipped roof, which is a local landmark. The west face incorporates a sunken panel within which a cross is mounted. The original tower brickwork failed and it was re-clad in the 1980s. The windows are generally round-headed. North and south aisles, clerestory with triplets of windows. The west entrance is beneath a tall tiled canopy supported by slim cylindrical metal piers.
Inside, there is a west gallery of pitch pine, with a narthex beneath and a tall, central concrete arch framing the organ. The nave arcades of exposed brick, with simple round arches to the passage aisles. Larger north Lady Chapel and smaller south Sacred Heart chapel. The Lady Chapel is separately expressed structurally and original arched openings were furnished with heavy wooden screens incorporating blue glass in the 1980s. Sanctuary with a timber canopy and crucifix mounted on the east wall. Fairly simple furnishings include a forward altar. Bench seating.
Entry amended by AHP 11.02.2021
Architect: L. A. G. Prichard
Original Date: 1956
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed