Eggington Street, Collyhurst, Manchester M10
A typical church design of the 1970s, with a roof funnel and clerestory lighting. The exterior has some presence, despite its small size, and the interior is welcoming and well lit.
Collyhurst is a suburb of Manchester which grew with industrialisation in the nineteenth century. Slum clearance followed in the twentieth century, and much of the area is today occupied by council housing estates. The parish was erected in 1922 and a church established in a blacking factory. Fr Marshall (later Bishop of Salford) was the first parish priest. A large new school with a ‘temporary’ church was built in 1929. A separate church was not built until 1972, from designs by Burles, Newton & Partners.The building is low, of brick with gently angled roofs with clerestory lighting on each side of a tall funnel designed to direct and focus light on the sanctuary. There is a narthex with glazed screen, and the interior is well lit, with hardwood ceilings and exposed brick walls. The bench seating is probably original.
Original Date: 1972
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed