The Droveway, St Margaret’s-at-Cliffe, Kent
The former chapel of a convent which once occupied this late Victorian building, which was apparently originally a hotel. The chapel is a very simple space with a minimum of ornament.
The building was apparently originally a hotel or seaside apartments, built at the end of the nineteenth century in a vaguely Arts & Crafts style. It was acquired and converted to serve as a convent, with a large chapel formed on the ground floor. The convent closed in the 1980s. Part of the building was sold off but the chapel and the accommodation on the floors above it were retained.
The church occupies part of the ground floor of this large building, now mostly converted to private dwellings. The building is in the Arts & Crafts manner, of two main storeys with prominent many-gabled roof. The walls are now all painted but were originally faced with red brick on the ground floor with pebbledash above and weatherboarding in the gables. The roof is covered with red tiles. The chapel occupies the ground floor of the left hand part of the building. It is a long rectangular undivided space with a carpeted floor, plastered walls with a high timber dado and a flat boarded ceiling. The windows are mostly the original domestic timber cross-windows of the building. In the liturgical east wall is a single cusped circular window. All the windows are clear glazed. The furniture throughout is timber and of the simplest. Attached to the rear of the main building is a small brick addition with a pitched roof which contains the sacristy and a small meeting room.
Architect: Not established
Original Date: 1890
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed