School Lane, Storrington, west Sussex RH20 4LN
Our Lady of England, though a little old fashioned for 1902-09, is a fine building built to a relatively modest budget. It groups well with the monastic buildings adjoining.
A Premonstratensian priory was opened in 1888 by community of Canons who came over from France in 1882. The foundation stone of the present church, designed by Edward Goldie, was laid in 1902 and the church was opened in 1904, at a cost of c£6,000.
Edward Goldie (1856-1921) was articled to his father, George Goldie (1828-1887), and was in partnership with his father from 1880 until the latter’s death in 1887. The practice was called Goldie, Child & Goldie. Edward Goldie practiced on his own from 1893, until joined by his eldest son Joseph (1882-1953 in 1913. Probably Edward’s best-known work is St James’s Spanish Place, in London. In Sussex he also designed St George’s Retreat in Burgess Hill (1905-6) and the Priory of Our Lady of Good Counsel at Haywards Heath (1890-7) as well as the priory at Storrington (1904) and St John the Evangelist, Horsham (1919-23). Edward in turn took his son Joseph into partnership and Joseph continued the practice after his father’s death in 1921. The firm continued as Edward Goldie & Son until it was wound up in 1953.
A brick church with stone dressings. A north west tower stands forward of the church and was never completed, having a temporary bell stage. The broad nave has five stepped lancets under a single arch to the west and closely spaced two-light plate traceried clerestorey windows to the north and south. Polygonal chancel with lancet windows. A north chapel and north porch are now linked by a two-bay addition in a somewhat demeaning gothic.
Light and spacious interior with the monks’ stalls arranged around the apse. Simple fittings probably by Goldie. Painted triptych 1959 by David O’Connell (1895-1976), hanging on the nave north wall. Cloister to the south and two principle monastic ranges on the west and south sides. These probably date from 1888.
Architect: Edward Goldie
Original Date: 1904
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed