Clifton Close, Temple Farm, Strood, Kent ME2
A plain chapel-of-ease built in 1950, with a short bell tower at the southwest corner.
After the Second World War, the Temple Farm area was developed as a large housing estate. The parish priest of Strood acquired a site for a Catholic chapel. The foundation stone was laid on 27 August 1950 by Canon Joseph Simmons. The timber hall was added in 1963, to be used both as a hall and a nursery during the day. It now houses a Montessori pre-school. The church is a chapel-of-ease, served from English Martyrs, Strood.
The chapel was built in 1950. It is built of wire-cut brick laid in stretcher bond, with some details in tiles. The roof is of steel-frame construction and the windows have metal frames. The plan is rectangular. The pitched roof is tiled. The west facade has a central, flat- roofed porch below a round-headed, tile-framed window with a cross-shaped mullion and transom. To the right of the door is the foundation stone. At the southwest corner is a short bell tower with pyramidal roof. At the northeast is a blocked doorway.
The interior is lit by six windows on each side. The westernmost bay has a suspended ceiling on two slim columns. At the west end are statues of St Anthony, St Patrick, the Sacred Heart, the Virgin and St Joseph. The Stations are unframed reliefs. At the northeast is a confessional, which is entered by the priest from the sacristy. The sanctuary has a modern timber font and lectern, with a carved and painted timber altar. A crucifix hangs against a central timber panel at the east. This is flanked by statues of the Virgin and the Sacred Heart. The sacristy with kitchenette and toilet is behind the sanctuary. A separate doorway at the southeast gives access to the sacristy.
Architect: Not established
Original Date: 1950
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed