Swan Street, Kingsclere, Hants
The church occupies a former village hall. It is designed in the Queen Anne style much favoured in the late 1880s, of red brick with stone dressings. Its exterior has been subjected to various unsympathetic alterations, but the building nevertheless makes a positive contribution to the conservation area in which it is located. The site is identified in the Council’s Conservation Area Appraisal as part of an Area of High Archaeological Potential.
In 1967 there was reported to be a Catholic community of about 80 people in and around Kingsclere. Since the early 1950s Mass had been said in the stables of Park House, but when they ceased to be available a disused Anglican school was borrowed. By a conveyance dated 22 August 1969 the former Kingsclere Albert Village Hall of 1886 was acquired by the Diocese for £6000 and converted for use as a church.
The church occupies a former village hall. It is designed in the Queen Anne style much favoured in the late 1880s, of red brick with stone dressings. Central entrance within lean-to single storey structure at front, with stone pilastered surround, arch with keystone, lintel with carved rinceau detail, pediment crudely rebuilt in brick. Main design above with elevation divided into compartments separated by brick pilasters, cornices etc. Central decorative stone panel dated 1886 and raised semicircular brick pediment. Plainer flank elevations with gabled mullion and transom windows (replaced in UPVC). Modern concrete tile roof and flat roof additions (sacristy?) at the rear.
Original Date: 1888
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed