Hesketh Lane, Tarleton, Preston PR4
Built in 1951, this church displays some of the lightness of touch and optimistic spirit of the Festival of Britain. The exterior treatment of the west end with render and blue ceramic crosses is most unusual. The interior is planned on conventional, pre-Vatican II liturgical lines.
The parish was erected in 1925. According to a datestone on the church, construction of the present building began in 1951 (architects Weightman & Bullen).
Of brick with some concrete dressings, roof concealed by a parapet. North-west campanile bell tower with a flat top and arched bell openings. The gabled west front is rendered with slightly projecting blue ceramic crosses and a central arched porch creating an unusual and striking visual effect. The church is attached to a brick presbytery by a low northeast link. To the east is a parish hall of brick with a rendered front which has some ceramic crosses painted black.
The interior is of less interest. Narthex with a south baptistery with a large sculptural concrete font and a west gallery over. A suspended ceiling panel has symbols in gold. Simple sanctuary furnishings with a forward altar.
Architect: Weightman & Bullen
Original Date: 1951
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed