Birchington Avenue, Eston, Teesville, Middlesbrough
The church is a utilitarian design, typical of churches of the time in presenting a single worship space with minimal embellishment.
The original parishes of St Peter’s, South Bank (1874) and St Mary’s. Grangetown (1886), serving the Irish and Lithuanian immigrants who worked in the smelting works by theTees, gave birth to the parishes of St Andrew (1962) and St Anne (1970) as the terraced streets near the works were demolished and new housing was built further south towards the Cleveland Hills. St Mary’s church was demolished in 1989 and four parishes became one by 2002.
The church is oriented south so directions are given liturgically.
The church has a broad rectangular plan with the nave and sanctuary in one (with a shallow projection behind the altar). There is also a small porch on the northeast side and a sacristy on the south). It is built round a reinforced concrete trussed frame to which has been applied a brick facing (laid in stretcher bond). The west end, facing the main road, has its entrance and window above displaced asymmetrically to the south. This façade is faced with brown brick whereas the side elevations have a mixture of buff and brown bricks with the latter forming panels beneath clerestory windows. The latter have been replaced with UPVC frames. There is no window in the east wall. The roofs are covered in ribbed concrete tiles.
The large high-level windows make for a light, airy interior. The concrete trusses are exposed internally. The west end of the nave has an internal lobby and a room over for meetings.
Original Date: 1970
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed