Moor View, Torpoint, Cornwall
A modest interwar church of no architectural importance, but with a claim to be the first church in England dedicated to St Joan of Arc.
Until the building of the church Catholics in the Torpoint area had to cross over to Plymouth to reach the nearest Mass centre. Later, priests came over from Devonport to offer house Masses, and the British Legion hut was also used. Finally a small site was acquired and the modest little church of St Joan of Arc opened in 1933. According to Woodhead, this was the first church in England to be dedicated to St Joan, who was canonised in 1920.
Church, attached sacristy and west porch, externally faced in painted pebbledash, under a shallow pitched slate roof with red clay ridge tiles. UPVC windows and rainwater goods. The interior consists of a nave under an open truss painted timber roof, with a separate chancel in a recessed east end. There are no furnishings of particular note.
Architect: Not known
Original Date: 1933
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed