Clay Lane, Burtonwood, Warrington WA5
A modest post-Vatican II church serving a modern residential settlement.
Originally a rural hamlet, Burtonwood is now a modern residential settlement in the middle of fields. The population increased with the opening of coalmines in the nineteenth century, but has been declining since their closure. A mission was established in 1886 and the original church on the site – still standing next to the present church – was opened in 1902.
The present church dates from 1972 and was built from designs by Cassidy & Ashton. The building consists of a rectangular enclosure faced with brown brick, with rectangular window openings. Set back from the outer wall of this enclosure is a continuously glazed clerestorey, on which sits a pitched roof covered with artificial slate. On the liturgical west side of the building is a projecting flat-roofed vestibule topped by a spirelet.
Amended by AHP 13.01.2021
Architect: Cassidy & Ashton
Original Date: 1972
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed