Weir Lane, Woolston, Warrington WA1
One of the oldest Catholic missions in the diocese. Although post-dating Emancipation, the present church is more akin to the modest type of chapel built in the first decades of the nineteenth century. A presbytery was built at the same time. Some elements of the original church interior survive.
This is one of the oldest missions in the present Archdiocese of Liverpool, established in 1677. The present church and presbytery were built in 1834-5 at the expense of Edward Stratham. The architect was John Smith of Liverpool, a friend of Stratham. The interior was reordered and redecorated by the Pozzoni Design Group in 1985.
Catholic church 1831 (Pevsner). Brick with rendered plinth and quoins and modern tyrolean treatment elsewhere with slate roof. Rectangular building of 4 bays in lancet style with presbytery behind chancel at south end. North gable entrance to the nave is pair of 4 panel doors in gothic opening with timber panelled transom. The entrance is flanked by cast iron lattice windows in lancet openings with stone sills and a single bell is hung in an opening over the door. Two-way projecting quoin pilasters with moulded eaves cornices and pyramid finials. Lead covered gable coping. Nave walls have lattice windows in lancet openings but those nearest chancel have stained glass. Projecting coved eaves cornice with lead gutter.
Interior: Apsidal sanctuary set into wall common to presbytery. Marble altar, reredos and dado with terrazzo up to deep plaster cornice and painted ceiling. Main alter flanked west by marble “Lady” altar and east by vestry door with mosaic memorial pictures above each and whole wall in marble up to coved ceiling cornice. Side walls brown marble dado with white marble to window arch springing lines. Mosaic Stations of the Cross with mosaic memorial pictures (1875 to 1912) above in spaces between windows. Grained timber choir gallery and screen north end of nave, flat ceiling with cove.
Amended by AHP 13.01.2021
Architect: John Smith
Original Date: 1834
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Grade II