Church Lane, Weaverham, Cheshire CW8
A post-War church by the well-known architectural firm of Reynolds & Scott, adopting the Romanesque/Byzantine style popular for Catholic churches of the day. A simple and dignified design, which has been internally altered.
The parish was created in 1950 and the church built over the following two years, from designs by Reynolds & Scott. The furnishings were designed by Hammer & Co. of London. A substantial reordering of circa 2005 reduced the depth of the sanctuary by the insertion of a wall at the east end and saw the introduction of new furnishings of polished white stone, including a forward altar. The space created at the east end now forms meeting, storage and children’s areas. At the same time the narthex was extended into the body of the church. In 2009 the Lady Chapel was altered with redecoration and introduction of a simple niche for a statue.
The building is of red brick with tiled roofs. There is a northwest campanile tower and a recessed giant arch at the west end. The windows are generally very narrow paired lancets with round heads. The church is attached to a presbytery of standard domestic type by a low brick link. The interior incorporates processional aisles and simple round-arched forms, with north and south chapels. At the west end a narthex beneath the gallery has been extended into the nave to create a meeting area.
Original Date: 1952
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed