Carlton Avenue East, Wembley, Middlesex HA9
An economically-built steel-framed church of ‘Scandinavian’ type, with a high peak roof, built in the 1960s to replace a 1930s hall/church.
The parish was erected in 1932 and was at first known as Wembley Park. It served the suburban residential development which sprang up after the 1924-5 Wembley Exhibition. A dual-purpose church and hall was built on land purchased by the diocese and on stylistic grounds it seems likely that this building was designed by T. H. B. Scott. After the Second World War a small church hall was built next to the church. In 1964 the architects Walters & Kerr-Bate submitted a design and estimate for building a circular church behind the new hall but this scheme was not proceeded with and a building to different design by Z. Sawiki and C. Hough was built in 1969 (drawings in Diocesan Property Services archive). The new church cost £48,367. The organ was installed in 1974. The church was consecrated in 1979.
The church is built immediately behind the brick church hall and is a steel-framed structure with a tall and steeply-pitched tent frame with side extensions under low flat roofs. Externally the principal feature is the copper-covered roof with a fully glazed west gable rising above the old hall. The side walls are faced with white brick. Internally the members of the steel frame are exposed at low level but clad with timber above. There is a continuous strip clerestory above the side aisles and the borders of the east gable are also glazed. There is no structural sanctuary but the altar is set on a low platform against the triangular east wall.
Architect: Z. Sawiki & C. Hough
Original Date: 1969
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed