St Dunstan, West Hoathly, West sussex
A curiosity that continues to tell its unusual history through the unaltered front and the opened out interior. The building makes a positive contribution to the character of the conservation area as a vernacular building rather than as a church.
century domestic building with a shopfront. The shop was last used as a butchers. It was acquired a parishioner in 1957 and converted for use as a Roman Catholic Church, opening in 1958. The conversion simply entailed the removal of internal walls and floors to create a single church space. An open timber structure supports the walls and roof. Externally all that tells the building is a church is a the name and a crucifix.
Original Date: 1850
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed