Lord Street, Westhoughton, Bolton BL5
The church was purpose-designed for the parish by Pozzoni Design Group and built in 1994-5. Although not of special architectural or historical interest, it is well-liked and provides an attractive setting for worship, with good facilities housed within a practical building.
A mission was established from St Peter and St Paul, Bolton, and Mass was first said in a former weaving shed situated on Albion Street, Wingates, opened by Bishop Vaughan in 1873. A priest was appointed in 1876, and in 1879 a school was created in part of the building. A new church and school were built on Lord Street in 1894-5. The present church, which replaced the late nineteenth-century church on the same site, was opened by Bishop Kelly on 17 May 1995.
Built in 1994-5, the Sacred Heart is one of the newest churches in the diocese, and replaced an earlier church on the same site. Church, parish hall and presbytery are part of a single, L-shaped building, and are all accessible from a single entrance hall. The east end of the church, which is angled on plan, is placed close to the road, with the hall and presbytery overlooking the rear garden. It is built of brown and yellow bricks, laid in bands, with concrete tiled roofs and brown stained windows.
The interior of the church is wide and spreading, with a tall sloping roof supported on dark-stained timber scissor trusses. The sanctuary is given dynamic focus by the angled walls and side lighting, and contains a white marble altar, lectern and font, all in matching style. The tabernacle is set within a recess to the right of the sanctuary. The rows of timber benches are angled to face the sanctuary. A glazed section of wall at the west end provides a view into the hall, and alongside are the kitchen and sacristy. The floors are all carpeted with the exception of the entrance area, which is tiled.
Architect: Pozzoni Design Group
Original Date: 1995
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed