Mayfield Avenue, Hough Green, WA8
An early example by the post-war practice of local architects L.A.G. Prichard, characterised by high-peaked gables at the sides. Less ambitious than later works such as Christ the King, Childwall and St Agnes, Huyton.
The church dates from 1958 and is located within a large post-war Council estate.
Built in 1958, the church is an early work of the Liverpool architects L.A.G. Prichard & Sons. The rectangular plan set beneath a 45 degree pitched roof is conventional, but a series of five steeply pitched gables along each of the side walls give the building a distinctive and quirky character. The gables are filled with glass and provide the principal light to the interior. A flat-roofed brick narthex is attached to the west end, and another similar structure accommodates the sacristy and a link to the two storey presbytery on the southeast side. The main roof is covered in green concrete tiles, and the gable ends are clad in bright blue corrugated metal sheeting. Interior not inspected.
Architect: L.A.G. Prichard
Original Date: 1958
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed