South View, Chilton, Ferryhill, Co. Durham DL17
A former miners’ welfare complex, probably built just before or after the First World War and brought into use by the Church in 1948. Of very modest interest.
Originally this was not a church but a community centre for the local mining district. No date is firmly established for the buildings but they would appear to have been built shortly before or after the First World War. During the Second World War they were used for billeting soldiers. Then, at the instigation of Fr William Malone, they were obtained for church use in 1948. The hall and house are now rented out.
The church and hall, within linking kitchen, toilets etc, form a single composition, with the church part (on the right) the dominant element. The complex is faced with smooth red bricks and areas of pebbledash: it is covered by a slate roof. The church consists of a rectangular nave with a sanctuary (no doubt originally a stage) beyond. It has a large four-centred window facing the street and rectangular side windows. These are double-glazed and have modern glass bearing foliage patterns. Inside, the church has plastered walls. Over the nave is a three-sided ceiling. There are no fittings or furniture requiring particular notice.
Architect: Not established
Original Date: 1900
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed