Withernsea, East Yorkshire
A simple interwar church of minimal architectural or artistic significance.
From 1906 a priest fromHullsaid Sunday Mass in a small café at Withernsea (Hull’s closest holiday town). A tiny wooden church was built and replaced by the present permanent building in 1936. This is said to have been designed (together with eight other churches in the Diocese) by the then Bishop, Thomas Shine and built by F. Spink (at a cost of £1,045), a builder from Bridlington. Thomas Shine did not have architectural training and the degree to which he was responsible for designing this and other churches has not been established.
A modest red brick building hemmed in by terraced housing on either side. Brickwork laid in English Garden Wall bond. The west front has a parapet with the middle section boldly stepped up. Stepped brickwork giving something of an Art Deco character. Gabled porch of domestic character and built within the last twenty or so years. Tall flat-headed lancet windows, the centre one broader and set higher up.
The interior is lit from windows at either end and from sky lights set in to the canted boarded ceiling with trusses supported on wall corbels. Three flat-headed east windows set high up, the centre one taller. Plastered and painted walls and no division between nave and sanctuary. West gallery, the area below enclosed (circa 2000) by a glazed screen to form an internal porch or lobby. Open backed oak pews. Oak altar, low screen behind and tabernacle with Gothic panelling, from the old St Vincent’s Church inHull. Sanctuary and altar are raised on a timber platform. Stained glass, crucifixion and other scenes in the three east windows. Engraved glass in the screen beneath the west gallery. Stations of the Cross also fromSt Vincent’s church, Hull.
Architect: Bishop Thomas Shine and F. Spink of Bridlington
Original Date: 1936
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed