Glenwood Avenue, Wollaton, Nottingham NG8
A utilitarian dual-purpose church and hall built in the 1950s as the first phase of a larger never implemented development.
The church was built in 1955-6 as a church hall, the first part of an intended development of church, hall and presbytery, to serve a new housing estate at Wollaton. Pending the building of the church, it was designed to double up as a church as well as a hall, with the sanctuary and altar hidden behind a folding screen which could be closed when the hall was being used for social functions. The hall was built to accommodate about 200 people. In 1990 the architect Vincente Steinlet prepared a scheme for a new church alongside the present hall, but this was not built.
The church/hall is a simple brick structure, with a pitched slate roof supported on light steel trusses. It consists of a main hall, comprising nave and sanctuary, with attached sacristy, confessional and baptistery. The windows are steel casements, those to the sanctuary glazed with leaded lights of tinted glass. The main entrance and window above have a reconstituted stone surround ‘to emphasise that this is something more than an Assembly Hall’ (Catholic Building Review, 1956). The interior has not been inspected.
Architect: Reynolds & Scott
Original Date: 1955
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed