South Stoke Road, Woodcote, Oxfordshire RG8
A big, barn-like timber structure built in the 1960s without the involvement of an architect. It occupies a large site, intended for a parish complex. There are no furnishings of particular note.
On 16 July 1958 a chapel-of-ease was opened at Woodcote in a disused garage of Norris House, the junior school of the Oratory School. It was served from Goring (qv). By 1964, this had become inadequate and plans were made for the acquisition of a site (for £1,500) and the building of a larger but economical church, using a legacy from Fr Sammonds, a previous parish priest. Several designs by builders were considered, including a pitched roof design by W. H. Easterling, building contractors, and a concrete building by a Stafford firm. By July 1965, a timber building by a local builder had been chosen. The foundation stone was laid on 27 November 1965 and the church was opened on 7 May 1966 by Archbishop Dwyer. The cost was just over £9,000. The church continues to be served from Goring.
The church faces north. This description follows conventional liturgical orientation.
A large, barn-like timber building on a brick plinth with an oblong plan. There is a small west porch and a small square flèche at the east. The foundation stone is set into the brick plinth at the southeast. The interior has a canted panelled ceiling. It is lit by two rows of seven metal windows on each side. The sanctuary furnishings are all of timber. To one side is a painted pietà. The seating is a mixture of benches and chairs. Behind the altar is a small sacristy; beside the entrance is a confessional. The floor is of cork.
Architect: None involved
Original Date: 1966
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed