Southmoor Road, Baguley, Wythenshawe, Manchester, M23
A functional building capable of providing a range of facilities, but lacking special architectural or historic interest.
Wythenshawe was originally part of Cheshire, acquired by Manchester City Council for a satellite suburb and laid out by Barry Parker from 1931. Building continued until 1939 and resumed after the Second World War. The parish was formed in 1946 and worship took place in a hotel and later a school. The church of St Peter was built in 1953 by Reynolds & Scott. A new parish was formed from it in 1967 and the church of the Sacred Heart built in 1973, from designs by the Leicestershire architect Thomas E. Wilson. It formed part of a single complex incorporating church, presbytery and parish centre. St Peter’s was closed and the two parishes were reunited in 2003.
Sacred Heart is a long, low building clad in brown brick with a red-painted trim and flat or sloping roofs. A shallow east-end projection is part glazed and part timber clad. Windows are generally narrow flat-headed lancets. The entrance is in the south side and shared with the entrance to the presbytery. Inside there is a long narthex which acts as a small meeting place and refreshments hall, with ranges of toilets etc. behind. The church has a very simple interior of exposed brick with a hardwood ceiling incorporating strip lighting. The altar recess is lit by vertical slit windows and incorporates a crucifix on a hardwood reredos. Furnishings are simple, including plain bench seating.
Architect: Thomas E. Wilson
Original Date: 1973
Conservation Area: No
Listed Grade: Not Listed