Holliney Road, Peel Hall, Wythenshawe, Manchester, M22
A flexible building with a dignified interior but without special architectural or historic interest.
Wythenshawe was originally part of Cheshire, acquired by Manchester City Council for a satellite suburb and laid out by Barry Parker from 1931. Building continued until 1939 and resumed after the Second World War.The parish of St Elizabeth was erected in 1965 and a school hall used for Mass until the present church was opened in 1974. In 1982 a hall was attached to the north-west end of the building.
The church is of red brick with darker brick accents and a tile roof. It adopts a reticent design, with a shallow gabled projection with a Crucifix rising above the east end as the main architectural emphasis. The hall is also of low-key design with a shallow hipped roof. The interior of the church is very simple without aisles, transepts or expressed chancel. It can be subdivided by screens to create a more intimate space when required. Two abstract coloured glass windows in pastel colours flank the east end. There is a forward altar and simple bench seating. The attached hall is a friendly space with exposed roof trusses of Columbian pine.
Architect: Greenhalgh & Williams, 1973; John Sheridon 1982
Original Date: 1974
Conservation Area: Yes
Listed Grade: Not Listed