Birmingham

The Archdiocese of Birmingham has 224 parishes, some with more than one church (as of 2015), with 263 churches visited in this review. The cathedral is in Birmingham and is dedicated to St Chad. The Diocese of Birmingham was founded on 29 September 1850. It covers parts or all of the counties of Oxfordshire and Berkshire (north of the River Thames), Staffordshire, Warwickshire, West Midlands and Worcestershire. It is the Metropolitan diocese in Province of Birmingham.

West Heath – St John Fisher

A monumental traditional design, dominating the suburban setting it serves. The church is a late (1963-4) design by... Read More

Wheatley – Our Lady of Lourdes

A former tithe barn sympathetically converted for use as a church in the 1960s, with a recent porch extension. It... Read More

Willenhall – St Mary

A small Edwardian red brick Early English Gothic design, and a modest example of the work of a well-known firm of... Read More

Witney – Our Lady and St Hugh

A plain brick 1970s design in a suburban location, distinguished by its raised tower over the sanctuary. The... Read More

Wolstanton – St Wulstan

A plain brick structure built in the late 1950s on a longitudinal plan, designed without aisles to maximise the... Read More

Wolverhampton – Corpus Christi

A modern brick church of 1991 arranged on standard post-Vatican II lines. The exterior is unexceptional but the... Read More

Wolverhampton – Our Lady of Perpetual Succour

A striking interwar brick design by Sandy & Norris, with a showpiece frontage fusing modern Romanesque and Art Deco... Read More

Wolverhampton – St Joseph

One of Jennings, Homer & Lynch’s more notable church designs in the diocese, with a fan-shaped plan designed to... Read More

Wolverhampton – St Teresa of the Infant Jesus

A church of the late 1960s, of brick and concrete construction, with an angular appearance and a large, open worship... Read More

Wolverhampton -St Peter and St Paul

A highly important church in the history of Midlands Catholicism. It adjoins the early eighteenth century Giffard... Read More

Wolverhapmton – St Anthony of Padua

A modern brick church with a broad, fan-shaped plan on post-Vatican II lines. The first church was built on... Read More

Womborne – St Bernadette

A functional hall-church building of 1961, built to serve an expanding commuter village.  From 8 June 1952... Read More

1 19 20 21 22