The Diocese of Clifton was founded on 29 September 1850. It covers the counties of Gloucestershire, Wiltshire and Somerset, and includes the major centres of Bath, Bristol, and Swindon. It is a suffragan diocese of the Archdiocese of Birmingham in the Province of Birmingham. The cathedral is in Clifton, Bristol, and is dedicated to St Peter and St Paul. 121 churches were visited for Taking Stock (2016).