Birmingham

The Archdiocese of Birmingham has 224 parishes, some with more than one church (as of 2015), with 263 churches visited in this review. The cathedral is in Birmingham and is dedicated to St Chad. The Diocese of Birmingham was founded on 29 September 1850. It covers parts or all of the counties of Oxfordshire and Berkshire (north of the River Thames), Staffordshire, Warwickshire, West Midlands and Worcestershire. It is the Metropolitan diocese in Province of Birmingham.

Stone – Immaculate Conception and St Dominic

A large and complex church of strong architectural character and interest. It forms the heart of a group of listed and... Read More

Stourbridge – Our Lady and All Saints

An impressive mid-Victorian Gothic Revival church by a major Catholic architect. There is a good survival of the... Read More

Stourport-on-Severn – St Wulstan and St Thomas

A functional 1970s steel-framed and brick church with a large, square worship space. Mass was first said in modern... Read More

Stratford-upon-Avon – St Gregory the Great

A relatively small church Gothic church of the 1860s by E. W. Pugin, whose buildings are often more flamboyant. The... Read More

Streetly – St Anne

The narrow facade conceals a surprisingly spacious if simple interior. The lack of an architectural sanctuary is... Read More

Studley – St Mary

A well-detailed Victorian Gothic Revival church built for a Benedictine mission, with assistance from the Throckmorton... Read More

Sutton Coldfield – Holy Trinity

A stately and in parts quirky interwar Romanesque design by G. B. Cox, replacing a smaller chapel of 1834. The... Read More

Sutton Coldfield – St Nicholas

An economical post-war brick church in a simplified Romanesque style with an unassuming exterior and a more impressive... Read More

Swynnerton – Our Lady of the Assumption

A sumptuously-appointed family chapel with many rich original furnishings. The building is notable for the quality of... Read More

Tamworth – Sacred Heart

A large complex typical of its 1979 date that includes all the facilities a modern parish church needs, but with... Read More

Tamworth – St John the Baptist

A large neoclassical town church of 1829-30 by Joseph Potter (architect of St Mary’s College, Oscott), which was... Read More

Tean – St Thomas of Canterbury

A brick church of the late 1930s by a local firm of architects. It is of a distinctive and unusual, angular design... Read More

1 16 17 18 19 20 22