Hexham and Newcastle

The Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle has 179 churches (as of 2012). The cathedral is in Newcastle  and is dedicated to St Mary. The Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle was founded on 29 September 1850, and was called the Diocese of Hexham until 1861. It covers the counties of Northumberland, Tyne and Wear, Durham, and the part of Cleveland north of the River Tees.

Sunderland – St Cecilia and St Patrick

 A plain brick and portal-framed church of the 1950s, designed by a local firm.  On 8 April 1926 a chapel of... Read More

Sunderland – St Hilda

A well-detailed but routine Gothic Revival design of the early twentieth century. The building was never completed but... Read More

Sunderland – St Joseph

An early twentieth century church in Romanesque basilican style, notable above all for the early use of moulded... Read More

Sunderland – St Mary

The mother church of Sunderland and the first Gothic Revival Church to be built in the town (now city). It is an... Read More

Thornley – Sacred Heart and English Martyrs

A long, low plain brick Gothic design, with some domestic Tudor detailing, built with the adjoining presbytery from... Read More

Throckley – St Cuthbert

Built into a sloping site, the church was originally built as a parish hall to serve a separate church which in the... Read More

Thropton – All Saints

A building evocative of the early nineteenth century with its decorated polygonal sanctuary embedded into the old hall... Read More

Tow Law – St Joseph

A modest mid-Victorian Gothic Revival church in a simple Early English style. It was evidently built (in two stages)... Read More

Trimdon – St William

A simple brick mission church of 1864 in lancet Gothic style, occupying a prominent position in the Trimdon... Read More

Tudhoe – St Charles Borromeo

A large and important mid-Victorian Gothic Revival church by J.A. Hansom, one of the leading Catholic architects of... Read More

Tynemouth – Our Lady and St Oswin

A small and economically-built Gothic revival church by a significant regional firm, close to the medieval priory... Read More

Ushaw Moor – St Joseph

A hybrid design, with an exterior which might be described as modern Byzantine, and an attractive plaster vaulted,... Read More

1 11 12 13 14 15