Hexham and Newcastle

The Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle has 179 churches (as of 2012). The cathedral is in Newcastle  and is dedicated to St Mary. The Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle was founded on 29 September 1850, and was called the Diocese of Hexham until 1861. It covers the counties of Northumberland, Tyne and Wear, Durham, and the part of Cleveland north of the River Tees.

Wallsend – Our Lady and St Aidan

A functional design of the 1970s, dramatically transformed by Vincente Stienlet in 2011. The chief interest of the... Read More

Wallsend – Our Lady and St Columba

A bold and impressive design of the 1950s, fusing Modern Perpendicular Gothic, Scandinavian and Art Deco elements. It... Read More

Wallsend – St Bernadette

A simple and well-built design of the late 1950s, serving a modern housing estate. The campanile is a local... Read More

Washington – Our Blessed Lady Immaculate

A handsome stone-built Gothic Revival village church by the noted Newcastle architect A.M. Dunn, retaining much of its... Read More

Washington – St Bede

A traditional church in modern forms by a well-known local architect, retaining much of its original mid-1960s... Read More

Washington – St John Boste

A well-detailed and functional modern church of hexagonal form with an open plan worship space. Washington was one... Read More

West Denton – St John Vianney

A simple modern design of the 1980s, built upon and incorporating features from the predecessor church.  The... Read More

West Monkseaton – Immaculate Heart of Mary

A modern dual-purpose church and hall. The ecclesiastical function is only expressed externally by two cross finials... Read More

Westerhope – St Mark

A fit-for-purpose design of the 1970s by Lanner of Wakefield.  The old settlement here was a pit village; the... Read More

Whickham – St Mary

A simple centrally-planned modern church of the mid 1970s, which replaced an earlier church in a converted barn, of... Read More

Whitburn, Mill Lane – St Vincent

A small church from the 1950s which has been re-orientated and re-ordered using modern furnishings from local... Read More

Whitley Bay – St Edward

A fine neo-Romanesque brick design of the 1920s by a notable Newcastle firm of architects. The scale and external... Read More

1 12 13 14 15