Southwark

The Archdiocese of Southwark has 181 churches (as of 2009). The cathedral is in Southwark, London, and is dedicated to St George. The Diocese of Southwarkwas founded in 1850, being elevated to become an archdiocese in 1965. It encompasses the areas of the London Boroughs south of the River Thames, the whole county of Kent and the Medway unitary authority.

West Kingsdown – St Bernadette

A late 1980s church of distinctive architectural design, by a noted local architect. From 1947 Mass was celebrated... Read More

West Malling – St Thomas More

A characteristic but architecturally unexceptional 1970s church, set within the former grounds of a listed... Read More

West Wickham – St Mark

A church of a polygonal plan, dating from the time of the convening of the  Second  Vatican  Council,  and... Read More

Westerham – St John the Baptist

A plain and architecturally modest 1950s red brick church in round- arched style, which nevertheless makes some... Read More

Westgate-on-Sea – St Peter

1960s portal framed church by John Clague; its dignified and well-lit interior shows a thoughtful and economical use... Read More

Whitstable – Our Lady Immaculate

A  red  brick  Edwardian  church  of  modest  architectural  interest,  but some historical interest in that... Read More

Whitstable – St Joseph (Chapel of Ease)

A  modest  and  functional  church  of  1964,  built  to  serve  a  developing suburb. The chapel was... Read More

Wimbledon – The Sacred Heart

An exceptionally large and handsome Jesuit church in the Gothic style, standing on a conspicuous site in a... Read More

Wimbledon (south) – St Winefride

An interesting design of 1905 by the well-known Catholic architect F. A. Walters. Like Walters’s church of the... Read More

Wimbledon Common – Our Lady and St Peter

A  large,  modern  church  of  hexagonal  plan.  The  building  and  its furnishings are typical of their... Read More

Wimbledon Park – Christ the King

A  thoughtful  interwar  church  designed  by  a  member  of  the  Scott dynasty of architects, with an... Read More

Woolwich – St Catherine Labouré (Chapel of Ease)

A simple but elegant chapel of 1961 by Walters & Kerr Bate. Built to serve the workers at the adjacent industrial... Read More

1 15 16 17 18