Southwark

The Archdiocese of Southwark has 181 churches (as of 2009). The cathedral is in Southwark, London, and is dedicated to St George. The Diocese of Southwarkwas founded in 1850, being elevated to become an archdiocese in 1965. It encompasses the areas of the London Boroughs south of the River Thames, the whole county of Kent and the Medway unitary authority.

Tunbridge Wells – St Augustine

A 1970s example of the work of Maguire & Murray, whose 1958 church at Bow Common Lane London was highly influential.... Read More

Twydall, Rainham – St Peter, Prince of the Apostles (chapel of ease)

A plain design of 1970, due to be closed at the end of June 2011. It is of little architectural or historical... Read More

Vauxhall – St Anne

A red brick Gothic church of distinctive and original design, its saddleback tower a prominent feature in the Vauxhall... Read More

Waddon – St Dominic

A functional design of the early 1960s, conventional for its date both in plan and design. However, the building is... Read More

Walderslade – St Simon Stock

A functional church of 1970-71, with a hall added in 2010. The church and its furnishings are of little architectural... Read More

Wallington – St Elphege

A thoughtfully-designed church of the early 1970s by Austin Winkley, reflecting the ideals of the Second Vatican... Read More

Walmer – Sacred Heart

A confident Gothic design of the 1880s by the Pugin firm, intended as the chapel for an enclosed religious order.... Read More

Walworth – English Martyrs

An early 20thcentury Gothic Revival church occupying a prominent corner site, and forming a good group with the... Read More

Wandsworth – St Thomas à Becket

A  powerful  Decorated  Gothic  design  in red  brick  and  Bath  stone  by Edward Goldie and completed by... Read More

Wandsworth East Hill – St Mary Magdalen

The building occupies an important position in the conservation area, overlooking the historic Huguenot burial ground.... Read More

Waterloo – St Patrick

A  modest dual  purpose  school-chapel of  the  late  19th   century  by  F A Walters. The main frontage is... Read More

Welling – St Stephen

A  small,  functional  steel-framed  church  of  1935,  by  E.  J.  Walters. Walters  also  built  the... Read More

1 14 15 16 17 18