Hexham and Newcastle

The Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle has 179 churches (as of 2012). The cathedral is in Newcastle  and is dedicated to St Mary. The Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle was founded on 29 September 1850, and was called the Diocese of Hexham until 1861. It covers the counties of Northumberland, Tyne and Wear, Durham, and the part of Cleveland north of the River Tees.

Holy Island – St Aidan

A post-War utilitarian structure successfully re-vamped in 2007 as a multi-purpose building with accessible church and... Read More

Horden – Our Lady Star of the Sea

A 1970s lightweight prefabricated octagonal structure with timber glulam roof trusses, built to replace a 1920s church... Read More

Houghton-le-Spring – St Michael

An early post-Emancipation Catholic church by a well-known architect, this modest 1830s building by the younger Bonomi... Read More

Hutton Henry – SS Peter and Paul

One of the earliest modern Catholic foundations in east Durham.  A church and presbytery were built in 1825, from... Read More

Immaculate Heart of Mary – Gateshead

An early work by David Brown, in a fairly traditional style and with a conventional longitudinal plan. The interior is... Read More

Jarrow – St Bede

A small Early English Gothic church built in 1860-61 by voluntary labour for the largely Irish Catholic population of... Read More

Jarrow – St Joseph

A centrally-planned church from the early 1970s, built to serve a post-war housing estate, with a fan-shaped worship... Read More

Jarrow – St Mary

A plain post-war church, the internal plan reorientated in the 1990s. The new furnishings are of some quality and... Read More

Jarrow – St Matthew

A large post-war church with a light and lofty interior, reminiscent of a hall church. The sanctuary has been... Read More

Langley Moor – St Patrick

A stone-built Edwardian church serving a mining town, the design of which although not original for its date is... Read More

Longbenton – Ss Peter and Paul

A large and characterful design of the early 1960s by David Brown, with a reinforced concrete frame and brick... Read More

Longhorsley – St Thomas of Canterbury

A modest and small Gothic church by John Dobson, a valuable adjunct to the sixteenth century Tower, formerly home to... Read More

1 5 6 7 8 9 15