Middlesbrough

The Diocese of Middlesbrough has 93 churches (as of 2008). The cathedral is in Coulby Newham, Middlesbrough, and is dedicated to St Mary. The Diocese of Middlesbrough was founded on 20 December 1878 out of the Diocese of Beverley. It consists of the boroughs of Middlesbrough, Redcar and Cleveland, Stockton on Tees (south of the river), the cities of Kingston upon Hull and York, East Yorkshire and most of North Yorkshire.

Middlesbrough – Sacred Heart and St Patrick

The massive bulk of this church has a very un-English appearance. This is because it was modelled on the Romanesque... Read More

Middlesbrough – St Joseph

Early Christian/Italianate church built in 1933-4, apparently to the designs of Bishop Thomas Shine. The building has... Read More

Middlesbrough – St Mary’s Cathedral

The Cathedral and its associated complex form a large and visually prominent feature in the area and are also of... Read More

North Ormesby – St Alphonsus

The church dates from the late 1950s, before the changed design ideas that flowed from Vatican II – hence the... Read More

Ormesby – St Gabriel

St Gabriel’s is a mainstream example of 1970s Catholic church building in which the worship area is made square to... Read More

Osmotherley – Our Lady of Mount Grace

The building in which the chapel is housed has a plain 18th-century frontage and is one of the larger structures in... Read More

Oswaldkirk – St Aidan

This church, built in the 1960s, is not of special architectural or historic interest, but occupies a prominent... Read More

Pickering – St Joseph

Prominent and attractively grouped church and hall designed by Leonard Stokes, with the careful massing and fine... Read More

Pocklington – St Mary and St Joseph

The original church was a fairly typical mid-Victorian Gothic building by a highly respected Yorkshire Roman Catholic... Read More

Redcar – Sacred Heart

Built on the eve of the First World War, the church is a late and relatively modest example of the use of... Read More

Redcar – St Alban

St Alban’s was built at a time of rapid expansion of social housing in the area and the building reflects a need for... Read More

Redcar – St Augustine

This is one of a number of churches built in the 1930s to serve Catholics in the expanding urban areas along the North... Read More

1 3 4 5 6 7 8