Middlesbrough

The Diocese of Middlesbrough was founded on 20 December 1878 out of the Diocese of Beverley. It consists of the boroughs of Middlesbrough, Redcar and Cleveland, Stockton-on-Tees (south of the river), the cities of Kingston-upon-Hull and York, East Yorkshire and most of North Yorkshire. The cathedral is in Coulby Newham, Middlesbrough, and is dedicated to St Mary. 89 churches were visited for Taking Stock (2008).

Kirkbymoorside – St Chad

An attractive late nineteenth century small stone-built church in lancet Gothic style, set within a churchyard on the... Read More

Lealholm – Our Lady and the Sacred Heart

A small stone-built Gothic church of modest architectural pretension. Pevsner is perhaps a little too harsh in... Read More

Leyburn – St Peter and St Paul

With its Georgian Gothick character, the church is perhaps old-fashioned for its date, after Catholic Emancipation and... Read More

Loftus – St Joseph and St Cuthbert

Built in the late nineteenth century, evidently on a tight budget. However, the building forms a conspicuous feature... Read More

Malton – St Leonard and St Mary

Much restored church of twelfth century origin, occupying a prominent position in the townscape on the east side of... Read More

Market Weighton – Our Lady of Perpetual Help

A pleasing, low-key, post-war and pre-Vatican II design. The mission at Market Weighton sprang from the Langdale’s... Read More

Middlesbrough – Sacred Heart and St Patrick

The massive bulk of this church has a very un-English appearance. This is because it was modelled on the Romanesque... Read More

Middlesbrough – St Joseph

An Early Christian/Italianate church built in 1933-4, apparently to the designs of Bishop Thomas Shine. The building... Read More

Middlesbrough (Acklam) – St Francis of Assisi

An interwar design in Early Christian-cum-Italianate style, this is a well-composed, generously-scaled building which... Read More

Middlesbrough (Beechwood) – St Thomas More

One of a number of cheaply-built churches put up in suburban districts in the early 1960s to serve growing populations.... Read More

Middlesbrough (Brookfield) – St Clare of Assisi

A church built towards the end of T. A. Crawford’s career in designing churches for the Diocese of Middlesbrough. In... Read More

Middlesbrough (Eston) – St Anne

A utilitarian post-Vatican II design, with minimal embellishment.  The original missions of St Peter’s, South... Read More

1 2 3 4 5 6 8