Salford

The Diocese of Salford was founded in 1850. It covers a relatively small geographical area in the north west of England, extending to the north into Lancashire, west towards Liverpool, south towards northern Cheshire and east towards the Pennines. The cathedral is in Salford, and is dedicated to St John the Evangelist. 184 churches were visited for Taking Stock (2014).

Hollinwood – Corpus Christi

A well-detailed design, very conservative for its date, with an intact set of fittings. With the presbytery it forms an... Read More

Hollinwood – Holy Family

A typical example of a post-war church built to serve a growing residential suburb; it retains some attractive... Read More

Hollinwood – Holy Rosary

A modest 1950s church built to serve a post-war estate, arranged conventionally.  The long and simple interior has... Read More

Horwich – St Mary

An imposing design of 1905-6, built for this burgeoning railway town by architects Randolph & Holt. The church is... Read More

Hurst Green – St Joseph

The chapel is a modest nineteenth century stone building of no particular architectural significance, but making a... Read More

Irlam – St Joseph the Worker

A utilitarian structure of the 1960s, built as a dual-purpose church and parish hall. Irlam was an undeveloped area... Read More

Irlam – St Teresa of Avila

A church of some architectural character built through the patronage of the de Trafford family. It is little altered... Read More

Kearsley – St John Fisher

An unusual combination of a small parish church and a modern pilgrimage shrine, with split ownership but a shared... Read More

Langho – St Mary

A modern Gothic design by Desmond Williams, while still working for Arthur Farebrother & Partners. The interior,... Read More

Lees – St Edward

A modest late twentieth century church, sited next to the school-chapel built in 1900. The church has no heritage... Read More

Little Hulton – Lancashire Martyrs

A modest church-cum-hall of the early 1960s. Little Hulton was an isolated settlement prior to expansion with the... Read More

Little Hulton – St Edmund

A red brick and terracotta Gothic Revival design of the turn of the twentieth century, with a striking west front. The... Read More

1 5 6 7 8 9 16