The Diocese of Birmingham was created in 1850, becoming an Archdiocese in 1911. It is the Metropolitan diocese in the Province of Birmingham. The cathedral is in Birmingham and is dedicated to St Chad. The Archdiocese covers parts or all of the counties/administrative areas of Oxfordshire and Berkshire (north of the River Thames), Staffordshire, Warwickshire, West Midlands and Worcestershire. It has 224 parishes (as of 2015), some with more than one church; 263 churches were visited for Taking Stock.
A strong design from the time of the Second Vatican Council, with good furnishings by Hardman Studios. Had the intended... Read More
A notable Italo-Byzantine design by G. B. Cox, influenced no doubt by Westminster Cathedral, and lavishly fitted out... Read More
A notable circular design, capturing the spirit of renewal at the time of the Second Vatican Council. While the plan... Read More
An economical but stylish design from a time of austerity, the church was built in the early 1950s to serve a new... Read More
A Roman basilican design of the first decade of the twentieth century, built as a memorial to Cardinal (St) John Henry... Read More
An elaborate and richly decorated mid-nineteenth century church in fourteenth century Gothic style, funded entirely by... Read More