The Diocese of Birmingham was created in 1850, becoming an Archdiocese in 1911. It is the Metropolitan diocese in the Province of Birmingham. The cathedral is in Birmingham and is dedicated to St Chad. The Archdiocese covers parts or all of the counties/administrative areas of Oxfordshire and Berkshire (north of the River Thames), Staffordshire, Warwickshire, West Midlands and Worcestershire. It has 224 parishes (as of 2015), some with more than one church; 263 churches were visited for Taking Stock.
A building of major significance in the diocese, and nationally, illustrating one architect’s response, highly... Read More
A good, fairly late example of the work of the Birmingham architect G. B. Cox, in stripped Romanesque style, its broad... Read More
A stately and well-detailed interwar essay in Early Gothic by G. B. Cox, echoing in some respects his earlier church at... Read More
A modest church dating originally from the late 1930s, significantly altered and enlarged in the 1960s, with an... Read More