Brentwood

The Diocese of Brentwood was founded on 20 July 1917 out of territory formerly in the Archdiocese of Westminster. It covers the county of Essex, including the unitary authorities of Thurrock and Southend-on-Sea and the east London Boroughs of Barking and Dagenham, Havering, Newham, Redbridge and Waltham Forest. It is a suffragan diocese of the Archdiocese of Westminster in the Province of Westminster. The cathedral is in Brentwood, and is dedicated to St Mary and St Helen. 115 churches were visited for Taking Stock (2012).

Leigh-on-Sea – Our Lady of Lourdes and St Joseph

An idiosyncratic Gothic church of the 1920s, very much a personal work by the parish priest Fr F. W. Gilbert, but... Read More

Lexden – St Theresa of Lisieux

A striking pre-cast concrete frame design of 1971, with a dramatic and well-lit interior, lively modulation of wall... Read More

Lexden (Shrub End) – St John the Baptist

A simple brick structure of the early 1960s, one of several chapels-of- ease built to serve the post-war suburban... Read More

Leyton – St Joseph

A brick-built basilican church built as a First World War memorial in 1924.  The  interior  was  starkly... Read More

Loughton – St Edmund of Canterbury

A modern church with some features inspired by Basil Spence’s Coventry Cathedral. It has several furnishings of high... Read More

Maldon – Assumption of Our Lady

A Geoffrey Raymond church of the mid-1920s, built in the late Gothic Revival manner popularised by architects such as... Read More

Manor Park – St Nicholas

A small, picturesquely-composed Gothic church of the late 1860s built originally as the chapel of a Catholic Industrial... Read More

Manor Park – St Stephen

A big-boned modern Gothic church of the 1950s by Burles & Newton, architects of many churches in the Diocese of... Read More

Newbury Park – St Teresa

A small 1950s church in a simple round-arched style, notable for works by Eric Gill’s pupil Joseph Cribb, including... Read More

Ongar – St Helen

A small Gothic Revival church built in 1868-69 under the patronage of the twelfth Lord Petre and Countess Tasker,... Read More

Rainham – Our Lady of La Salette

A large 1960s church with a high peak triangular section on a low rectangular base, built to serve the reformed... Read More

Rayleigh – Our Lady of Ransom

A church of the 1930s, completed in sympathetic manner in the 1960s. Externally this is a conventional Italian... Read More

1 5 6 7 8 9 10