Brentwood

The Diocese of Brentwood has 115 churches (as of 2012). The cathedral is in Brentwood and is dedicated to St Mary and St Helen. The Diocese of Brentwood was founded on 20 July 1917 out of territory formerly in the Archdiocese of Westminster. It covers the county of Essex, including the unitary authorities of Thurrock and Southend-on-Sea and the east London Boroughs of Barking and Dagenham, Havering, Newham, Redbridge and Waltham Forest. It is a suffragan diocese of the Archdiocese of Westminster in the Province of Westminster.

Great Bardfield – The Holy Spirit

The chapel is in an upper room, created within a house built in 1955 and extended in 1969. Externally, while there are... Read More

Great Wakering – St Edmund of Canterbury (chapel of witness)

A modest hall/chapel of the 1960s, built economically to serve a rural community. The building is now a day nursery... Read More

Greenstead – St John Payne

A modern, functional design, serving a post-war estate. The church is dedicated to St John Payne, martyred at... Read More

Hadleigh – St Thomas More

A bold, simple and economical modern design by the Essex architect Kenneth Cheeseman, who also designed the stained... Read More

Halstead – St Francis of Assisi

A modest post-war brick church in simplified Romanesque style, built with  support  from Dr  Richard Courtauld.... Read More

Harlow – Church of the Assumption

A modest church, originally a multi-purpose hall, built in a vernacular style with neo-Georgian details. The... Read More

Harlow – Holy Cross

A large modern church which retains several of its original furnishings including an aluminium corona. A Mass... Read More

Harlow – Our Lady of Fatima

A striking modern church by Gerard Goalen. It is notable for its dalle de verre stained glass by Dom Charles Norris... Read More

Harlow – St Thomas More

A large modern church with a high peak roof, such as enjoyed a vogue in the mid-1960s. It was planned as part of an... Read More

Harold Hill – Most Holy Redeemer

A large modern church of portal frame construction. The Mass centre was established in 1950, followed by the first... Read More

Harold Hill – St Dominic

A modern church of conventional plan. Due to the absence of an aisle arcade, the sanctuary is visible to everyone. Of... Read More

Harwich and Dovercourt – Our Lady Queen of Heaven

A utilitarian design of the 1950s, replacing and incorporating some furnishings from an E. W. Pugin church of 1869,... Read More

1 3 4 5 6 7 10