Liverpool

The Archdiocese of Liverpool has 214 churches (as of 2007). The cathedral is  in Liverpool and dedicated to Christ the King. The Diocese of Liverpool was founded on 29 September 1850, and elevated to become an archdiocese on 28 October 1911. It consists of the county of Lancashire south of the Ribble, parts of Merseyside, Cheshire, Greater Manchester, and the Isle of Man. It is the Metropolitan diocese in Province of Liverpool.

Atherton – St Richard of Chichester

Interwar brick and terracotta church with perpendicular Gothic detailing. The exterior is plain apart from the gable... Read More

Aughton – St Mary

A chapel and attached presbytery of the low-key type that prevailed between the passing of the Second Relief Act of... Read More

Billinge – St Mary

A  good example of an early  nineteenth-century chapel, built  shortly  before Catholic Emancipation and displaying... Read More

Birkdale – St Teresa of Avila

A good example of its type, exhibiting an unusual plan and forming a group with the presbytery and school. The interior... Read More

Blundellsands – St Joseph

A fairly large church in Early English style, on a prominent corner site. Part of the early development of... Read More

Boothstown – Holy Family

An interwar brick and terracotta church with perpendicular Gothic detailing. The exterior is plain apart from the gable... Read More

Bootle – St James

A late work by M. E Hadfield, completed by his son Charles. Although somewhat old-fashioned for its date, this is an... Read More

Bootle – St Joan of Arc

A modestly-sized church displaying fairly advanced liturgical planning for its date and notable for its dalle de verre... Read More

Bootle – St Monica

One of the major churches of the twentieth century. Opened in 1936 to the design of the Liverpool architect Francis... Read More

Bootle – St Richard of Chichester and St Alexander

A solid interwar church, built in Italian Renaissance style. The interior volume, finishes and acoustics are of high... Read More

Bootle – St Robert Bellarmine

A substantial brick interwar church of neo-Romanesque design by L.A.G. Prichard. The tower is a local landmark.  The... Read More

Bootle – St Winefride

The external appearance of this 1950s church is unremarkable, but the effect of the stained glass, coupled with other... Read More

1 2 3 4 17