Liverpool

The Diocese of Liverpool was founded on 29 September 1850, and elevated to the status of an archdiocese on 28 October 1911. It consists of the county of Lancashire (south of the Ribble), parts of Merseyside, Cheshire, Greater Manchester, and the Isle of Man. It is the Metropolitan diocese in the Province of Liverpool. The cathedral is in Liverpool, and is dedicated to Christ the King. 208 churches were visited for Taking Stock (2007).

Burscough – St John the Evangelist

An early nineteenth century chapel and attached presbytery of simple Nonconformist type. They do not follow the normal... Read More

Childwall – Christ the King

A fine modern church, designed by L. A. G. Prichard & Son, who were one of the most interesting designers of... Read More

Childwall Valley – St Paschal Baylon

A strongly individualistic building in the New Brutalist style, with some furnishings of note. The church was built as... Read More

Chorley – Sacred Heart

An ambitious design by Edmund Kirby, a powerful presence in the streetscape with a striking west front. The interior... Read More

Chorley – St Chad

St Chad's has grown accretively from its origins in 1791. The tower has some architectural quality and the earlier... Read More

Chorley – St Joseph

A competent lancet Gothic design by Matthew Honan, typical of the cheaper kind of church being built around the turn of... Read More

Chorley – St Mary

St Mary’s is a highly visible building which forms a local landmark. Despite the history of piecemeal building it... Read More

Chorley (Weld Bank) – St Gregory

St Gregory’s is of historical importance as an early manifestation of revived open Catholic observance in the Chorley... Read More

Clayton Green – St Bede

A good example of the modest Nonconformist type of Catholic chapel built in the early years of the nineteenth century.... Read More

Clinkham Wood – St Patrick

A confident exercise in Brutalist architecture built in 1963-4 and influenced by Gillespie Kidd and Coia’s St... Read More

Clubmoor – St Matthew

F. X. Velarde’s first church, designed when he was still in the office of Weightman & Bullen. The tall bell tower... Read More

Coppull – St Oswald

A good interwar neo-Byzantine design, in which massing and detail are well handled. The church was built to serve a... Read More

1 2 3 4 5 18