Southwark

The Archdiocese of Southwark has 181 churches (as of 2009). The cathedral is in Southwark, London, and is dedicated to St George. The Diocese of Southwarkwas founded in 1850, being elevated to become an archdiocese in 1965. It encompasses the areas of the London Boroughs south of the River Thames, the whole county of Kent and the Medway unitary authority.

Clapham Park – St Bede

A quirky Classical design, one of many churches built with the help of Miss Frances Ellis, a major benefactor to the... Read More

Cliftonville – St Anne

As  designed  in  the  1920s,  when  Margate  was  still  a  flourishing  resort,  St Anne’s was to be a... Read More

Colliers Wood – St Joseph

An inexpensive church of the 1960s, with a neo-Georgian show front to the High Street concealing an otherwise... Read More

Coulsdon – St Aidan

A church dating largely from the 1960s, but incorporating part of its 1930s predecessor by Adrian Gilbert Scott. The... Read More

Crayford – St Mary of the Crays

A functional church of 1972-73, part of which used to be the parish hall. It incorporates one stained-glass window and... Read More

Croydon – Our Lady of Reparation

A town centre Gothic Revival church of the 1860s by E W Pugin, considerably enlarged in the 1880s, in an early work by... Read More

Croydon – St Gertrude

A   modest   neo-Romanesque  design  of  1903  by   F   A  Walters,   with additions of 1935 by E J... Read More

Dartford – St Anselm

 A large modern church with a square plan, built in 1973-75. It is the fourth church to serve the parish, and... Read More

Dartford – St Vincent

A striking high-peak tile-hung church of 1985, built in the grounds of the former St Vincent’s Industrial School,... Read More

Deal – St Thomas of Canterbury

An interesting neo-Norman brick church of the 1880s by F A Walters, one of the more prolific and original Catholic... Read More

Deptford – Our Lady of the Assumption

A plain Gothic Revival church of 1844-1845 designed by the mission priest of Greenwich, Canon Richard North, who was... Read More

Dockhead – The Most Holy Trinity

Bermondsey Dockhead has claims to be the oldest mission in the Archdiocese, having been established in 1773 in a... Read More

1 3 4 5 6 7 18