Southwark

The Archdiocese of Southwark has 181 churches (as of 2009). The cathedral is in Southwark, London, and is dedicated to St George. The Diocese of Southwarkwas founded in 1850, being elevated to become an archdiocese in 1965. It encompasses the areas of the London Boroughs south of the River Thames, the whole county of Kent and the Medway unitary authority.

Dover – St Paul

A small church of the 1860s in the High Gothic style, unmistakeably the work of E. W. Pugin, with a contemporary... Read More

Downham – The Good Shepherd

A utilitarian portal framed design of the 1960s. Like the neighbouring Bellingham Estate, Downham was one of the... Read More

Dulwich – St Thomas More

A late Gothic Revival church by Joseph Goldie, third generation of a dynasty of Catholic architects. The design is... Read More

DulwIch Village – St Margaret Clitherow

A modest and functional church of the 1970s, not of special architectural or historic interest. Mass was held in a... Read More

Dymchurch (chapel of ease) – St Monica

A modest church of the 1960s.   The exterior with its three large north windows is not without architectural... Read More

Earlsfield – St Gregory

A post-war design replacing an early 20th  century church of which had been remodelled in early Christian style by Fr... Read More

East Greenwich – St Joseph

A tall, mainstream church of the later Gothic Revival by Henry John Hansom, son of the better-known church architect... Read More

East Sheen – Our Lady, Queen of Peace

A modest brick church of 1953-54 by Goodhart-Rendel’s partner F. G. Broadbent, who probably also extended the church... Read More

Edenbridge – St Lawrence

Built as a church hall in 1952 and of little architectural note, although the 1962 sanctuary by Maguire & Murray is... Read More

Eltham – Christ Church

A late Gothic Revival church of 1911-12 by Canon A. J. C. Scoles and Geoffrey Raymond for the Priory of the Canons... Read More

Eltham Well Hall – St John Fisher and St Thomas More

A church of 1936 by James O’Hanlon Hughes, with a plain and rather monumental exterior. The original double-height... Read More

Erith – Our Lady of the Angels

A large brick church of 1962-63 built for a parish served by the Capuchins. Stylistically it is conservative for its... Read More

1 4 5 6 7 8 18