Westminster

The Archdiocese of Westminster has 215 churches (as of 2013). The cathedral is in London and is dedicated to the Precious Blood. The Diocese of Westminster was founded on 29 September 1850. The diocese covers the Greater London boroughs north of the Thames and west of Waltham Forest and Newham, plus the districts of Staines and Sunbury-on-Thames, and the county of Hertfordshire.

St Margarets-on-Thames – St Margaret of Scotland

In the words of the list entry, ‘an early and particularly well-made and well-detailed example of post-Vatican II... Read More

Staines – Our Lady of the Rosary

An architecturally modest complex which grew up piecemeal between 1890 and 1987. The various phases can be seen in the... Read More

Stamford Hill – St Ignatius

A large and conspicuous red brick church with rough stone dressings,  in a personal version of the late Romanesque... Read More

Stanmore – St William of York

An elegant and little-altered example of church architecture before the Second Vatican Council, built from designs by... Read More

Stanwell – St David

A mid-1960s church built to serve the growing population around Heathrow Airport. Its layout reflects the ideas... Read More

Stevenage (Bedwell) – St Joseph

A modern church of the 1950s, built to serve one of the neighbourhoods of the New Town, which was altered virtually... Read More

Stevenage (Old Town) – The Transfiguration

The earliest modern Catholic church in Stevenage, built in 1914, enlarged in 1937 and significantly remodelled in... Read More

Stevenage (Shephall) – St Hilda

The most ambitious of the new Catholic churches built for Stevenage New Town, this is a modern design on a traditional... Read More

Stoke Newington – Our Lady of Good Counsel

A solid Romanesque basilican design of the interwar period, built in two phases by the diocesan surveyor T. H. B.... Read More

Stonebridge – The Five Precious Wounds

Church, hall and presbytery are combined in this punchy design from the mid-1960s by Burles, Newton & Partners.  The... Read More

Strawberry Hill – St Mary’s College Chapel

A large, spacious and imposing college chapel from the 1960s, a late work by Sir Albert Richardson. Being raised above... Read More

Stroud Green – St Peter in Chains

A relatively modest lancet Gothic church from the turn of the twentieth century, designed by the priest-architect A.... Read More

1 13 14 15 16 17 18