Brentwood

The Diocese of Brentwood has 115 churches (as of 2012). The cathedral is in Brentwood and is dedicated to St Mary and St Helen. The Diocese of Brentwood was founded on 20 July 1917 out of territory formerly in the Archdiocese of Westminster. It covers the county of Essex, including the unitary authorities of Thurrock and Southend-on-Sea and the east London Boroughs of Barking and Dagenham, Havering, Newham, Redbridge and Waltham Forest. It is a suffragan diocese of the Archdiocese of Westminster in the Province of Westminster.

Debden – St Thomas More

A plain church, originally a multi-purpose church hall. Debden used to be a separate parish but, due to dwindling... Read More

Doddinghurst – St Margaret of Scotland

A functional multi-purpose hall with a screened-off sanctuary. It is of little architectural or historic... Read More

Dunmow – Our Lady and St Anne Line

A modern dual-purpose church and hall of utilitarian design. The first church, dedicated to The Immaculate Heart... Read More

East Ham – St Michael

A large portal-frame church of the 1950s by John Newton, with some jazzy detailing. The first parish church was a... Read More

Eastwood – St Peter

A modern church of the early 1970s, with the emphasis on the main top-lit worship space and a minimum of external... Read More

Elm Park – St Alban

A large post-war church apparently inspired by San Zeno, Verona. The unusual plan was designed to ensure a clear view... Read More

Epping – The Immaculate Conception

A plain post-war neo-Georgian church which makes a positive contribution to the Epping conservation area. The... Read More

Forest Gate – St Anthony of Padua

A large and handsome church of the 1880s by the Pugin firm, forming part of a former Franciscan Friary complex.  The... Read More

Frinton-on-Sea – Sacred Heart and St Francis

A characterful early-twentieth century building of mock-Tudor design, by local architect William Hayne. It was built... Read More

Gidea Park – Christ the Eternal High Priest

A post-Vatican II centrally-planned church, built by Lanner of Wakefield to one of their standard designs. A Mass... Read More

Goodmayes – St Cedd

A handsome Arts and Crafts former Methodist church of 1904, with a galleried  interior  with  hammerbeam roof,... Read More

Grays – St Thomas of Canterbury

A substantial, economically-built church of the 1880s, serving what was at the time of construction the largest... Read More

1 2 3 4 5 6 10