Clifton

The Diocese of Clifton has 123 churches (as of 2016). The cathedral is in Clifton, Bristol, and is dedicated to SS Peter and Paul. The Diocese of Clifton was founded on 29 September 1850. It covers the counties of Gloucestershire, Wiltshire and Somerset, and includes the major centres of Bath, Bristol, and Swindon. It is a suffragan diocese of the Archdiocese of Birmingham in the Province of Birmingham.

Matson – St Augustine of Canterbury

Built just before the Second Vatican Council, to a traditional plan and with modern construction techniques, to serve... Read More

Melksham – St Anthony of Padua

A plain but nicely-detailed modern Romanesque design, one of several in the diocese built just before the onset of the... Read More

Minehead – Sacred Heart

A small Gothic Revival church in Early English style, one of several churches in the diocese by Canon A. J. C. Scoles.... Read More

Nailsea – St Francis of Assisi

A multi-purpose building of the 1980s with attached presbytery. In 2000, a matching hall was constructed. The glazing... Read More

Newent – Our Lady of Lourdes

A modest building built in the late 1950s, largely with volunteer effort, and adapted in 2006-7, with some striking... Read More

Nympsfield – St Joseph

A small, aisleless stone church built in the 1920s using elements of a design prepared forty-five years earlier by... Read More

Painswick – Our Lady and St Therese

A building of Tudor origin, later used as a slaughterhouse and from the 1930s as a church. It was remodelled in... Read More

Peasedown – St Joseph

A small church of the 1980s, not of architectural or historic interest. Furnishings include three sculptures by Peter... Read More

Pewsey – Holy Family

A low-budget but well-detailed 1960s church of A-frame construction, with a high-peak copper roof.  From 1934... Read More

Portishead – St Joseph

A small church built to serve a mission founded by French Franciscans. It was designed by the architect-priest Canon... Read More

Postlip – St James

Of considerable significance as a small, two-cell Norman chapel, restored to Catholic use at the end of the nineteenth... Read More

Redfield, Bristol – St Patrick

A church of the 1990s, not architecturally distinguished, but with a truly remarkable interior, an amalgam... Read More

1 4 5 6 7 8 10