Leeds

The Diocese of Leeds has 114 churches (as of 2008). The cathedral is in Leeds and is dedicated to St Anne. The Diocese of Leeds was founded on 20 December 1878 out of the former Diocese of Beverley. It consists of the whole of West Yorkshire (with the exception of the parish of Todmorden) together with some parishes in the East Riding, North Yorkshire, Greater Manchester and Lancashire. It is a suffragan diocese in Province of Liverpool, and is subject to the Archdiocese of Liverpool.

Leeds – St Augustine of Canterbury

A large and impressive brick church of the 1930s, conventional in plan but bold and original in design. The modern,... Read More

Leeds – St Brigid

Small brick church in the simplified Romanesque style so popular between the wars. In the 19th  century the... Read More

Leeds – St Gregory the Great

Built in 1970 from designs by the Liverpool architects L.A.G. Prichard & Son, to serve the Swarcliffe housing estate.... Read More

Leeds – St Joseph and St Peter

Utilitarian hall structure of the 1950s, given some architectural dignity by Peter Langtry-Langton’s remodelling of... Read More

Leeds – St Nicholas

Advanced design by Weightman and Bullen, comparable in some ways with that practice’s slightly earlier church of St... Read More

Leeds – St Theresa of the Child Jesus

Unremarkable post-War brick church, built from designs prepared before the War by Stephen Simpson, and much altered... Read More

Leeds – St Urban

Modest 1960s church in a stripped Modern Gothic style, prominent in the Headingley Conservation Area. In  1902... Read More

Leeds – St Wilfred

Characterful   modern   Gothic   design   with   a   little-altered   interior, redolent of the Festival... Read More

Leeds – The Assumption of Our Lady

Functional building of the 1950s serving a large parish; not of architectural or historic importance. In 1954 a... Read More

Mirfield – St Aidan

The building is an interwar warehouse structure converted to a church in 1955. It is of little architectural or... Read More

Moorthorpe – St Joseph

A large and impressive Classical building that is of major townscape importance, especially the bold west front to... Read More

Morley – St Francis

Relatively modest stone-built early 20th  century Gothic church by Edward Simpson, with elaborate sanctuary... Read More

1 5 6 7 8 9 10