The Diocese of Leeds was founded in 1878 out of the former Diocese of Beverley. It consists of the whole of West Yorkshire (with the exception of the parish of Todmorden), together with some parishes in the East Riding, North Yorkshire, Greater Manchester and Lancashire. It is a suffragan diocese in the Province of Liverpool, and is subject to the Archdiocese of Liverpool. The cathedral is in Leeds, and is dedicated to St Anne. 114 churches were visited for Taking Stock (2008); those built after 1980 were largely excluded from the review.